Monday, April 13, 2009

When the Saints....

Lord I have a heavy burden of all I've seen and know, it's more than i can handle, but your word is burning  like a fire shut up in my bones and I can't let it go.

And when i'm weary and overwrought with so many battles left unfought I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard, I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars

and when the saints go marching in, i want to be one of them. 

Lord it's all i that i can't carry and cannot leave behind, it all can overwhelm me but when i think of all who've gone before and lived a faithful life their courage compels me.

I see the shepherd Moses in the Pharaoh's court, I hear his call for freedom for the people of the Lord
I see the long quiet walk along the underground railroad
I see the slave awakening to the value of her soul
I see the young missionary and the angry spear
I see his family returning with no trace of fear
I see the long hard shadows of Calcutta night
I see the sister standing by the dying man's side
I see the young girl huddled on the brothel floor
I see the man with a passion come kicking down that door

I see the man of sorrow on his long troubled road
I see the world on his shoulders and my easy road. 

And when i'm wearing and overwrought with so many battles left unfought, I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard, I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars. 

And when the saints go marching in, I want to be one of them. 
- sara groves. 

2 comments:

janet said...

i love this song.

Anonymous said...

i love love this song too.